Color Marking Text Lesson
Students will gain insights in to the process of doing literary analysis by discovering and color-marking patterns in the text.
- Students will color-mark text for literary devices and images.
- Students will share their color-marked pages with a partner, then as a group.
- Students will select one literary device and write a one paragraph response as to what the author is gaining by employing this device (the SO WHAT?).
- Students should have access to at least 10-12 colored pencils.
- A printed copy of Walt Whitman’s “When I heard the Learn’d Astronomer” (You can download a pdf version to distribute from this website).
Using a rubric derived from the Common Core, or one of your own, grade student responses. I also award a “participation” score for fully color-marked pages. Please click on this link to see an example of a color-marking of Whitman’s poem.